Saturday, April 5, 2008

Pact With Myself

I am giving up drinking. At least until my law school exams are over, which falls somewhere around May 14. I came to this decision this morning, as I lay hungover in my bed eating a McDonald's breakfast hash brown and spilling water all over myself because I was too lazy to lift my head to take a sip. I had a transcendental moment, in which I saw myself from outside my own body, and realized what a poor sight it was.

I have never stuck to anything in my life, so this should be a real challenge. Obviously, I will be notably absent from the bar scene for the next five weeks. I lack the will power entirely to sit at the bar sipping on water while my friends get ridiculously drunk. I will likely remain holed up in my apartment on Friday and Saturday nights, but I think it will be a good time for self-reflection and growth (read: watching reality tv and facebook stalking).

Giving up drinking also serves a three-fold purpose:
  • I will be cutting out on my "going out" expenditures, which at the current time grossly outweigh all other living costs.
  • I will be able to focus more on school, or at least wake up without a hangover.
  • I will be able to start losing weight for my optimum summer beach bod. (8 Jack and Cokes racks up an absurd amount of calories).

This is my goal. Don't try and lure me out with promises of gratuitous late-night sex and shenanigans. Drinks on me on May 15th.

No comments: